Tectonics and Sedimentation
No bio has been found for this user.
Present Research Interests:
- My research involves analysis of carbonate and organic-rich sedimentary rocks to gain insight into Earth history.
- I have ongoing projects dealing with Devonian, Carboniferous, Triassic, and Paleogene age rocks.
- Specific research topics include carbonate platform development and platform to basin correlation.
- I use geochemical tracers of productivity, detrital input, and redox conditions to evaluate paleoceanographic change in the rock record.
- I employ magnetic susceptibility (MS) records to use as correlation and to gain insight into the timing of ancient events such as mass exctinctions or sea level change through spectral analysis of MS time series data.
- Whalen et al., 2014, Chemostratigraphy and magnetic susceptibility of the Late Devonian Frasnian–Famennian transition in W. Canada and S. China: in Geological Society, London, Special Publication, 414.
- Whalen, M.T. et al., 2013, Annealing the Chicxulub Impact: Paleogene Yucatàn Carbonate Slope Development in the Chicxulub Impact Basin, Mexico: in Society for Sedimentary Geology Special Publication 105, p. 282-304.
- De Vleeschouwer, D., Whalen, M.T., Day, J.E., and Claeys, P., 2012, Cyclostratigraphic calibration of the Frasnian (Late Devonian) time scale (western Alberta, Canada), Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 124, p. 928-942, doi: 10.1130/B30547.1.
- Śliwiński, M.G., Whalen, M.T., and Day, J.E., 2011, Stable Isotope and Trace Element Anomalies during the Late Devonian ‘punctata Event’ in the W. Canada Sedimentary Basin, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 307, p. 245-271.
- Dumoulin, J.A., Slack, J.F., Whalen, M.T., and Harris, A.G., 2011, Depositional setting and geochemistry of phosphorites and metalliferous black shales in the Carboniferous-Permian Lisburne Group, N. Alaska, U.S.G.S. Professional Paper 1776 – C, 64 p.
- Whalen, M.T. and Day, J.E., 2010, Cross-basin variations in magnetic susceptibility influenced By changing sea level, paleogeography, and paleoclimate; Upper Devonian, Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, Journal Of Sedimentary Research, v. 80, p. 1109-1127.
- Schulte, P. and 40 others including Whalen, M.T., 2010, The Chicxulub Asteroid Impact and Mass Extinction at the Cretaceous-Paleogene Boundary, Science, v. 327, p. 1214-1218, DOI: 10.1126/science.1177265.
- da Silva, A.C., Mabille, C., Potma, K., Weissenberger, J., Whalen, M., & Bouvlain, F., 2009, Magnetic susceptibility evolution and sedimentary environments on carbonate platform sediments and atolls, comparison of the Frasnian from Belgium and from Albert