The Keith B. Mather Library at UAF's Geophysical Institute was designated an official Patent and Trademark Depository Library in April 2010 by the U.S. Department of Commerce Patent and Trademark Office. In October 2011, federal changes led to a new name, the Alaska Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
The Mather Library receives and houses copies of U.S. patents and trademark materials, makes them readily available to the public, and actively disseminates patent and trademark information.
The Patent and Trademark Resource Center collection is located in the Keith B. Mather Library of the Geophysical Institute in Room 202, Akasofu Building, 2158 Koyukuk Drive on the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus.
The library can provide limited information about Patent and Trademark Office forms and fees, but can not give legal advice. The United States Patent and Trademark Office recommends that inventors contact a patent or trademark attorney for legal advice before submitting a patent or trademark application. A list of registered patent or trademark attorneys and agents in Alaska and other states is available from the Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
- Reference assistance in locating answers to patent and trademark questions
- Training and assistance in searching basic patent and trademark information
- Access to files of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Online access to state trademark registration
- Online access to the European Patent Office for information about foreign patents and reliable sources for obtaining them
- Patent searching classes, which last approximately two hours. Call the library at 907-474-2636 for information about the next available class.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Google Patents
- American Patent & Trademark Law Center
- For Trademark Considerations
Free at the Mather Library:
- Basic Facts about Trademarks
- General Information Concerning Patents
- Guide for the Preparation of Patent Drawings
- Guide to Filing a Design Patent Application
- Guide to Filing a Utility Patent Application
Additional patent resource books are added to the collection as they become available.
Requests for Services
Specialized patent reference services are available Tuesday and Thursday or by appointment.
Requests for information may be made by telephone, fax, email, or in person. It is advisable to call for an appointment before coming to the library for patent or trademark search.
Self-service copying of patents is available at a charge of $.15 per page.