My broad field of expertise is sea ice geophysics, but my research interests encompass climate change, coastal dynamics, ice-ocean interaction and the relationship between humans and sea ice. Arctic sea ice is a rapidly changing component of the global climate system and reports of its retreat make frequent headlines in international media. My research interests include the local implications of these changes for the Arctic residents. Sea ice geophysics also has an important role to play in providing data and information to stake holders and policy makers as commercial interests in the Arctic grow.
At the opposite end of the world, Antarctic sea ice is not undergoing the same reduction in extent. The two Polar Regions are geographically very different from each other, so a difference should not be surprising. My research interests also include the processes by which ice shelves flowing off of the Antarctic continent influence sea ice growth through ice-ocean interaction at depth. This involved over-wintering at Scott Base.
- Climate change
- Coastal dynamics
- Ice-ocean interaction
- Relationship between humans and sea ice
- Mahoney, A. R., A. J. Gough, P. J. Langhorne, N. J. Robinson, C. Stevens, M. J. M. Williams, and T. Haskell (2011), The seasonal appearance of ice shelf water in coastal Antarctica and its effect on sea ice growth, Journal of Geophysical Research, 116(C11), C11032 10.1029/2011jc007060.
- Mahoney, A. R., J.R. Bockstoce, D.B. Botkin, H. Eicken and R.A. Nisbet, (2011), Sea ice distribution in the Bering and Chukchi seas: information from historical whaleships' logbooks and journals, Arctic,64(4), 465-477.
- Huntington, H. P., S. Gearheard, A. R. Mahoney, and A. K. Salomon (2011), Integrating Traditional and Scientific Knowledge Through Collaborative Natural Science Field Research, Arctic, 64(4), 437-445.
- Meyer, F. J., A. R. Mahoney, H. Eicken, C. L. Denny, H. C. Druckenmiller, and S. Hendricks (2011), Mapping arctic landfast ice extent using L-band synthetic aperture radar interferometry, Remote Sensing of the Environment, 115(12), 3029-3043
- Eicken, H., J. Jones, R. MV, C. Kambhamettu, F. Meyer, A. R. Mahoney, and M. L. Druckenmiller (2011), Environmental security in Arctic ice-covered seas: From strategy to tactics of hazard identification and emergency response, Marine Technology Society Journal, 45(3), 37-48.
- Mahoney, A. R., S. Gearheard, T. Oshima, and T. Qillaq (2009), Sea Ice Thickness Measurements from a Community-Based Observing Network, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 90(3), p370-377.
- Holt, B., P. Kanagaratnam, S. P. Gogineni, V. C. Ramasami, A. R. Mahoney, and V. Lytle (2009), Sea ice thickness measurements by ultrawideband penetrating radar: First results, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 55(1), 33-46.
- Mahoney, A. R., R. G. Barry, V. Smolyanitsky, and F. Fetterer (2008), Observed sea ice extent in the Russian Arctic, 1933-2006, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 113, C11005, doi:10.1029/2008JC004830.