Pavel is the Research Associate with the Geophysical Institute, who investigates magma processes in volcanic arcs through petrologic and experimental studies of igneous rocks. He has expertise in igneous petrology, experimental petrology, analytical techniques, and remote sensing. He involves students in extensive hard-core field works through International Volcanological School and various research projects in Alaska and Kamchatka.
- Investigating magma processes in volcanic arcs through petrologic experimental studies of igneous rocks.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI)
- Post Doctoral Fellow (2003 - 2006), Alaska Volcano Observatory, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska
- Research Assistant (1997 - 2003), Alaska Volcano Observatory, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska
- Researcher (1996 - 1997), junior researcher (1993 – 1996), technician (1992 - 1993), Institute of Geosciences of the Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (IG SB RAS), Yakutsk
- Research assistant (1990 - 1992), Institute of Mineralogy and Petrology SB RAS, Novosibirsk
- Field trip assistant (Summers of 1979 - 1987), Institute of Geosciences of SB RAS, Yakutsk
- Vasily D. Shcherbakov, Pavel Yu. Plechov, Pavel E. Izbekov, and Jill S. Shipman (2011) Plagioclase zoning as an indicator of magma processes at Bezymianny Volcano, Kamchatka, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 162 (83-99).
- Neill, O.K., Hammer, J.E., Izbekov, P.E.,Belousova, M.G., Belousov, A.B., Clarke, A.B. and Voight, B. (2010) Influence of pre-eruptive degassing and crystallization on the juvenile products of laterally directed volcanic explosions. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 198(1-2), 264-274.
- Browne, B.L., P. Izbekov, J. Eichelberger, T. Churikova (2010) Constraints on the Pre-Eruptive Storage Conditions of the Holocene-Aged KZI Dacite Magma Erupted from Kizimen Volcano, Kamchatka. International Geology Review 52, issue 12, p. 95-110.
- Waythomas, C. F., Scott, W. E., Prejean, S. G., Schneider, D. J., Izbekov, P., and Nye, C. J. (2010) The 7-8 August 2008 eruption of Kasatochi Volcano, central Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research 115, B00B06.
- Larsen, J.F., Nye, C.J., Coombs, M.L., Tilman, M., Izbekov, P., and Cameron, C. (2010) Petrology and geochemistry of the 2006 eruption of Augustine Volcano, in Power, J.A., Coombs, M.L., and Freymueller, J.T., eds., The 2006 eruption of Augustine Volcano, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1769.
- Bindeman, I.N., V.L. Leonov, P.E. Izbekov, V.V. Ponomareva, K.E. Watts, A.B. Perepelov, L.I. Bazanova, B.S. Singer, B. Jicha, A.K. Schmitt, C.H. Chen (2010) Large-volume silicic volcanism in Kamchatka: Ar-Ar, U-Pb ages and geochemical characteristics of major pre-Holocene caldera-forming eruptions. Journal of Volcanological and Geothermal Research, Vol. 189, No 1-2, pages 57-80.
- Neal, C., O. Girina, S. Senyukov, A. Rybin, J. Osiensky, P. Izbekov, G. Ferguson (2009) Russian eruption warning systems for aviation. Natural Hazards, Vol. 51, No 2, p. 245-262.
- John Eichelberger, Evgenii Gordeev, Minoru Kasahara, Pavel Izbekov, Jonathan Lees, Editors (2007) Volcanism and Subduction: The Kamchatka Region. Geophysical Monograph Series, Volume 172, 350 pages, ISBN: 978-0-87590-436-8.
- Neal, C., O. Girina, S. Senyukov, A. Rybin, J. Osiensky, T. Hall, K. Nelson, and P. Izbekov (2007) Eruption warning systems for aviation in Russia: a 2007 status report. Fourth International Workshop on Volcanic Ash, World Meterological Organization (WMO) in close collaboration with the International Civil Aviation Organziation (ICAO) and the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand, Rotorua, New Zealand, 26-20 March, 2007, 8 pages.