The Public Relations team promotes Geophysical Institute faculty, staff and student research activities through print, radio, television and online/social media. Public Relations staff write news releases, function as media liaisons, plan community events and lectures, help create announcements and more.
- Updated weekly
- Short-term, one-hour forecast
- NOAA POES satellite probable visible aurora model
Resources for Media
For general or media enquiries please contact:
Sue Mitchell, public information manager
Information about the University of Alaska Fairbanks can be found at UAF media resources
- In its 28th year of publication
- Covers a variety of science topics
- Free subscription to the electronic edition
- Free weekly column in cooperation with the UAF research community
- Published since the late 1970s
- Weekly lectures in January and February
- An annual series since the early 1990s
- Available on YouTube and for purchase on DVD
Visiting the Geophysical Institute
- Public tours of the Geophysical Institute are free and offered on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. through the summer.
- A self-guided tour brochure is available in the lobby of the Elvey building. You are welcome to visit the building and take the self-guided tour Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- To arrange custom tours for VIPs, school groups, aurora lectures, etc., contact Doreen Hayward.
- For more information about tours, phone 907-474-7558 or
- Releases about scientific findings, events, and Geophysical Institute research
- GI YouTube channel
- Videos include the Science for Alaska Lecture Series and others
- Media relations
- Special editing & writing projects
- Advertising & public relations campaigns
- The GI Weekly newsletter
- Conference planning services for GI faculty and staff
Other offices at the Geophysical Institute also serve the public.
- Topo maps of Alaska and aerial photography
- Available in the Akasofu building at UAF's West Ridge, or call 907-474-6960
- Poster printing
- Web design
- Graphic design
- Business cards